Retail Earnings, Consumer Discetionary, and more


Identifying Opportunity in Chop

When the market is choppy, it can be a bit frustrating for those of us traders who love identifying directional moves. But, as we know, the market chops around 80% of the time and spends the other 20% of the time making big moves.

It’s our job as traders to identify those moments of consolidation, where energy is building up and likely to break out. This is why we use my favorite trading indicator, known as the squeeze.

Earnings, as a Catalyst

I identified a few squeezes when I joined David Keller at Stockcharts on Tuesday. I especially like squeezes on hot stocks going into earnings.

This is because the compression of the squeeze demonstrates energy build-up, and earnings are a catalyst. This catalyst is what often causes the momentum to break out.

Walmart, and Target were two stocks I identified for earnings opportunities. I was looking for a bullish move in Walmart, and a bearish move in Target.

Check out the segment below as we discussed this, and more!

Upcoming Earnings

Even though earnings season is winding down, many notable companies are still reporting, coming up soon.

Friday, May 19th

John Deere (DE)

Monday, May 22nd

Zoom Inc. (ZM)

Tuesday, May 23rd

Autozone (AZO)

Dick’s Sporting Goods (DKS)

Lowes (LOW)

Palo Alto Networks (PANW)

Wednesday, May 24th

Kohls (KSS)

Nvidia (NVDA)

Thursday, May 25th

Best Buy (BBY)

Costco (COST)

Ulta Beauty (ULTA)

Which tickers are you most interested in? There will be more opportunities next week!

As for me, I’ll be on vacation with my family, but as always, you can find me on Twitter @traderdanielle.

Up Next...

Top AI Add On Plays After Nvidia’s Strong Earnings Report

Shares of Nvidia (NVDA) soared today after the company reported earnings that were well above estimates. Most impressive however, was the company’s estimates for next quarter’s revenues which was more than 50% above Wall Street estimates. NVDA cited surging demand for its chips that help with artificial intelligence applications and the stock is poised to … Read more

Read More

Consumer Staples Stocks Have Broken Key Support – Here’s What You Need To Know

The Consumer Staples sector closed below its key 50-day moving average today and is on track to be the worst performing area for the week. This underperformance began last week and was along with other defensive areas of the market such as Utilities and Healthcare. At first glance, it appeared as if last week’s 4% … Read more

Read More

The Google Daily Squeeze: Trade Update

A Video Update Last week, we discussed the move in Google, both before and after Google’s AI event. While I continue to like the stock long-term, Google did demonstrate a bit of exhaustion today. It hasn’t fully triggered a pullback move, but I’m watching and waiting for a potential pullback play.  I discuss this, including … Read more

Read More

Subscribe Today!

Want to walk the path to trading success together? Join Danielle’s “Five Star Trader” E-Letter for market insights, tips, tricks, and special bonuses.

Sign Up Now